You are here

Home » About Us » History

The Birth of London Road Allotments

The London Road Allotments came into being around the year 1911. Together Joseph Raven, with councillors John W Trindle, H L Curzons and W B Rainbow, approached the Coventry Corporation with the view of obtaining land for the use of allotments. The Coventry Corporation kindly let a piece of land extending from Shortley Road uphill and down to the brook. These were the first gardens and were known as Tunnel Hill Gardens No 1.

H L Curzons: Councillor. Profession: Cabinet Maker. Business, Curzons & Sons Complete House Furnishers and French Polishers at 44 Much Park Street. He also specialised in Smoke Room Furniture, comfortable up to date seating fitted complete from 5 Shillings per foot.

William Ballard Rainbow: Councillor. Profession: Chemist. Business, Rainbow's Drug Stores: 5 Victoria Street. Residence 10 Cash's Lane

Joseph Raven: Profession Florist & Seed Merchant 22 London Road.

John W Trindle: Councillor. Profession: Whitesmith. The Business was at 46A Much Park Street which also specialised in Bell Hanging. Residence 26 Sunny Bank, Park Side.

The London Road Allotments Limited was formed in 1912, Councillor W. B. Rainbow being elected as Secretary, a position he held until the tragic accident which caused his death. Two members who also served on the first committee were messrs Warwick and Edwards. The first members had to take out three 10 shilling shares.

After the Association had been in existence for a time, a further piece of land was acquired, and this was known as Tunnel Hill No 2.

When the 1914-18 war broke out, there was a demand for allotments and the committee was successful in obtaining more land from the Coventry Corporation, which extended to Folly Lane ( now Humber Road ) and the Railway and the Pinley side ( Castle Hill South ) and referred to by the London Road Allotment Association as the East Side now part of the Seven Stars Industrial Estate. Sometime after the 1914-18 war, additional land was secured, now known as the Terry Road Site and obtaining further land for allotments being known as the Terry Road Extension.

In the early days of the Associations formation, small shows were held in the Charterhouse grounds, but during the war years the shows were allowed to lapse, but later revived as we know of one Flower and Vegetable show held in the grounds of the Parks Social Club at the Charterhouse with great gratitude expressed to our Committee by the Corporation Parks and Allotments Committee and if further shows were required then permission would be readily given.

History Map

Author: Mark Wilson